Durian (Durio zibethinus) is a well-known tropical plant in Indonesia. It’s also known as the king of fruit because of its big size and thorns. Although it has a huge size, only 25% of durian can be consume. While the other 75% is usually thrown away. Not many people know that durian’s skin has the ability to conduct electricity (electrolyte) caused by manganese inside it. Beside that, batteries are electricity storage who needs the existence of electrolyte as electricity conductor from positive pole (cathode) and negative pole (anode). Unfortunately, batteries these days still using lithium cobalt whose dangerous for the environment.
This research discuss about the using of durian waste as a substitute of electrolyte in batteries so that it could reduce HTS (Hazardous and Toxic Substance) on batteries. Based on our experiment, it is known that with 2,77 gram of durian’s skin can produce 1,14 volt of electricity on average. On the second experiment, we did fermentation on the durian’s skin by adding yeast. By adding 5 gram, 10 gram, and 15 gram of yeast, this process proven can increase the amount of electricity. The maximum result is 1,302 volts of electricity on average can produce by adding 10 gram yeast and 10 days fermentation. So proven that durian’s skin can substitute as electrolyte.
We have already socialized to students and made presentations at “Pojok Iklim” from ministry of environment to do campaign about reducing HTS so that this research will have more impact for sustainability of environment.